Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My First Diaper Cake

One of the sweetest people I know and teach with is having a baby girl this summer.  Sarah is having her third child and I can't wait to see her!  When my friend Alison asked me for help with the invitations I told her I wanted to try and make a diaper cake for the shower.  I have never made one but I received one at my school shower and I loved it!  So I got on Pinterest and started looking at diaper cakes.  I never really found one that I loved but I did find some basic directions.  The website: Plan the Perfect Baby Shower, has fantastic step by step directions.  It actually wasn't too hard to make.  I made it in one evening.  I will say that the directions didn't tell me how much ribbon to buy only sizes and I did end up running out.  Fortunately I found other ribbon in my craft room and was able to complete the diaper cake that night.

Supplies:
Sarah's Diaper Cake
  • 60 newborn generic diapers
  • Lots of ribbon (I would buy two spools of each kind)
    • 1 inch wide
    • 1/4 inch wide
  • A cardboard circle the size of a cake plate
  • Large bottle of baby lotion
  •  8 oz. baby bottle
  • 60 small rubber bands (you can use hair bands)
  • Decorations  (You can buy as many or as few as you want)
    • rubber ducks
    • pacifier
    • travel size bath items
    • wash cloths
    • bibs
    • teething ring
Here are some pictures of the diaper cake I made.  Sarah said she loved it so that was good enough for me and Alison even used it as her center piece!
I will definitely make one for every shower.  It was so much fun.





First Step Roll the Diapers


Two Rows of Diapers
Bottom Layer is Complete



No comments:

Post a Comment