Sunday, April 22, 2012

Seusstastic

UNLESS...
Truffula Trees Anyone who knows me knows my love for Dr. Seuss. His books and quotes offer a lesson for kids and grownups. Every year in March we celebrate Read Across America at school. I try to carry Seuss with me throughout the year but even I feel my Seuss creativity coming out in March. This past year My son and I made Truffula trees from the story, "The Lorax". We painted pencils yellow, then let them dry. Next, we used a black paint pen to draw wavy lines on the pencils. Finally, we hot glued pom poms to the tops of the pencils on the erasers. Then we cut green strips of construction paper. After that we took a baby food jar and mod podge the green construction paper to it, so it looked like grass. To finish it off we put the pencil trees into the baby food jars. It turned out really cute and I loved seeing it on my desk.  This book and this activity are great for Earth Day as well.

School Craft Project:
I made cheaper versions of this with 2 classes this year.  We took black and yellow pipe cleaners and twisted them together. Then we glued the pom pom to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment